Democratize carbon capture by creating a low-cost, consumer solution where individuals are empowered to participate in protecting the environment.
The personalized carbon capture device MAY consist of the following components:
- Hand crank: This consists of a variable resistance hand-crack (i.e., vertical or horizontal) that provides mechanical actuation for the device and its different sub-components;
- Mechanical bellows: This consists of a means for drawing atmospheric air into the device, and ensuring its circulation and exhaustion;
- CO2 sorbent: This consists of a material in the solid- or liquid-states which can absorb CO2 from atmospheric air and release such CO2 (e.g., when exposed to temperature increase);
- Heater: This consists of a means such as a frictional heat generator which can provide localized heating of the CO2 sorbent to favor the desorption of CO2;
- Storage: This consists of a means for reusable storage of enriched CO2 under moderate pressures, thereby reducing the amount of volume needed to store ≥ 10 g of enriched CO2; and
- Internet-of-things and/or geolocation: This consists of enabling methods of connecting the device to the internet, and/or geolocating the CO2 storage device.
Each of these, and other relevant components should be designed into a hand-held device that weighs 1 kg or less, and is maintenance-free over 3,000 cycles of update and release of CO2 from the atmosphere.
Due June 29, 2018 at 5:00pm to email@example.com.
- Design Drawing
Formatting: 5-10 pages, Word document, 1 inch margins, 12-point font.
FINAL PROPOSAL CONTENTS
Due date: TBD
- Design Drawing
- Flow Diagram
- Cost Estimate
Formatting: Word document, 1 inch margins, 12-point font.